Thursday, June 25, 2009

Last days in La Corunha

1) I am drawn to ruins. Decay! I found these along the road to the Portinho, which is a bus ride and a hike from A Corunha.
2) The view of the Portinho from the Parque de Bens.
3) Hydrangeas grow everywhere in Galicia!
4) Look how clear the water is! This is where I met Scuba Diver Jose.
5) From right to left: Mirela, Guillermo, and Son of Mirela and Guillermo. Without their help, I would have been utterly lost at the lonja.
6) Preparations for the Noche de San Juan! These piles of wood popped up on all of the beaches.
7) Grilled sardines, the traditional dish on the Noche de San Juan. They are salty and delicious. I may have seen these very same fish being sold in the morning!
8) The streets were packed with soon-to-be sardine devourers waiting in line for the grilled fish.
9) Sylvia and I are holding special herbs that women are supposed to soak in water overnight as part of the festival. If you wash your face with the water the following morning, you are beautiful for the rest of the year! Unfortunately, I left my bundle of herbs in Sylvia's bag, and I never wash my face in the mornings anyway. I'll probably be dirty for the rest of the year instead of beautiful.
10) Crowds on the beach on the Noche de San Juan!
11) Left to right: Marta, Juan, Sylvia, Antonio, and Puri. Julia was with us, but she is out cold in her stroller behind Juan.
13) FIRE.
14) FIRE and THRONGS.














1 comment: